THE BIKE RIDE AFTER THE RACE
3 courses to choose from!! Register online for the 30 or the 60 – they are the same price and you can decide the day of the ride!
- Date: Sunday, January 19, 2014
- Start Time: 8:30 a.m.
- Start & Finish: Mamie Whitesides Elementary - 1565 Rifle Range Road Mount Pleasant, SC 29464. Parking, late registration and start in the large lot in the rear of the school.
- Route: This is a non-competitive, scenic bike tour. We will offer a 20-mile, 40-mile and 60-mile option. Route will include area beaches including Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms.
- Support: There will be SAG support along the route.
- COURSE: Picturesque view of the Atlantic ocean as you come up the Isle of Palms connector bridge – make sure to bring your camera. Ride along the water front homes on Isle of Palms and Sullivan’s Island pass within 60 feet of the Sullivan’s island light house. View of Ft. Sumter – from Sullivan’s paved road, closest view from land to see Ft. Sumter, with docent on hand to answer questions and tell the story of the first shot of the Civil War. Ride out the Pitt Street Bridge path, around Alhambra Hall and pass thru the old sea side village of Mt. Pleasant. SHORT ROUTE THEN HEADS BACK TO START. The long and medium route then cross over the Arthur Ravenel Bridge and stop at the H.L. Hunley graves and pass through other grave sites over 300 years old! THE MEDIUM ROUTE THEN HEADS BACK TO THE START. The long route then follows the marathon course, passing by the H.L. Hunley museum, scenic Park Circle, then heads downtown around beautiful Hampton Park, the Citadel Military School of SC, then down past the historic homes and spectacular views of the Battery and Waterfront Park, up past the Market then back over Ravenel Bridget to the start.
- REST STOPS/BATHROOMS: Inside bathroom stops at Ft. Sumpter, Alhambra Hall, Hunley Museum. Port-a-potties at Rest Stops
- FOOD: Unique home made eats at rest stops – banana bread, pound cake, pimento cheese, chocolate treats, and lots more - rest stops you would not want to pass. Home made soup at the finish
- Over the bike path of the Cooper River Bridge to bridge path past the grave yard of the CSS Hunley Soldiers.
Highlights of the longer route
- Follow some of the route of the marathon, Pass by the museum for the CSS Hunley (great place to meet non riders or family members that do short course) – Optional fee, only open Sat and Sun.
- Pass thru beautiful Hampton Park, then thur the Citadel – Military college of SC.
- Follow the marathon route around the battery with its grand old houses.
- Pass the historic homes on east bay street
The Charleston Marathon Bike Ride is brought to you by the event organizers of Festivelo.
View Mamie P Whitesides Elementary in a larger map